What are the Benefits of Botox from a Dental Perspective?
When we say “Botox,” you likely think of a procedure that has been recognized and used for the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles for decades. However, dental professionals offering cosmetic dentistry services are now educating patients on the use of Botox for the reduction and treatment of TMD, tension headaches, grinding or clenching of teeth, migraines and more.
Dr. Agatha Bis is trained and experienced in the use of Botox injections as part of a patient’s pain management protocol for years, and has seen amazing success.
The Benefits of Botox in Dental Applications
As you might remember from the infamous children’s song, Dem Dry Bones, “your neck bones connected to your head bone.” While that is a very simplistic view of the anatomy, you can imagine that our muscles are interconnected and the muscles in the head and neck all work in balance. When that balance is off, the result can be pain, often excruciating and debilitating.
The Benefits of Botox: Botox works by decreasing the intensity of the muscle contractions within the neck and head, often leading to a reduction in the pain associated with extreme contractions. With great care and expertise, Dr. Bis is able to target the muscles responsible for causing the pain; avoiding all other muscles, allowing for normal muscle function throughout the body during and after treatment.
Here are two of the most common uses for dental Botox at our Oakville dental clinic:
- Tension Headaches / Migraines: Research shows that Botox works extremely well for tension headaches and migraines as it relaxes the muscles involved or responsible for these types of pain. Botox helps to limit extreme contractions that are so predominant in those who suffer from migraines or headaches.
- TMD (Temporomandibular Disorder): The TMJ (temporomandibular joint) is one of the most complex joints in the body. It can rotate, move side-to-side and forward and backward. If you have a problem with the TMJ, you likely have a TMD, which is identified by reports of pain in persons attempting simple everyday acts, such as speaking, chewing, yawning, swallowing, etc… Botox can help relax the muscles, thereby alleviating unconscious movement and tightening of the jaw.
Visit with Dr. Agatha Bis for Botox Injections
If you think Botox might be right for you, we invite you in for a consultation with Dr. Bis. Here’s how to start:
- Set an initial appointment, where we will conduct a thorough health history to determine if you are a candidate for Botox Treatments. Those on certain medications or with existing muscle or nerve conditions might not be a candidate… we can share more when we talk
- Visit in-office for the first round of Botox injections. Each visit typically lasts 15 minutes
- Return every 3 months, or as directed by Dr. Bis for treatment follow-up
It is important to note and report any side effects from a Botox treatment, specifically, redness, itching, rash, swelling or dizziness. Botox is just one of the treatment options available for those suffering from tension headaches, migraines and TMD. Let’s determine what treatment is best for you.
With a commitment to continuing education, Dr. Bis is at the forefront of holistic dentistry and values a collaborative approach with her patients. If you would like to learn more about our approach to family holistic dental care and/or cosmetic dentistry in Oakville; or have a question about your specific situation, get in touch with Oakville Dentist, Dr. Agatha Bis and her team by calling 905.338.6684 or by completing the form below. We are here to answers your questions about dentistry and the Benefits of Botox.